- What is the potential distribution of introduced/invasive species?
- How will climate change impact endangered species?
- Do sister species have similar ecological niches and geographic ranges?
- How does human impact species geographic ranges?
species' distribution in the geographic space
ecological niche in the environmental space
- How to effectively control the quality of biodiversity data?
- How to synthesize the big-data of biodiversity?
- How to produce robust range maps for all plants on Earth?
methodology of ecological niche modeling/species distribution modeling
- How does novel environmental conditions affect model transferability?
- What is the effect of collinearity shift on model transfer?
- How to improve the reproducibility of ecological models?
- How to incorporate physiology in improving model accuracy during model extrapolation?
↗ overestimation of the ecological niche
- How does forest die-off impact the ecology and economics in remote areas?
- What is the structure and strength of ecoclimate teleconnection?
- What are the implications for land management given the network of teleconnections?
↗ networks of tele-connected NEON regions
(Lopez-Hoffman & Feng et al. in prep)
↗ example of ecoclimate teleconnection: forest die-off in one NEON region (Pacific Southwest) impacts crop production in another NEON region (Prairie Peninsula)